Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dirty God: Jesus In The Trenches By Johnnie Moore Review

Y'all I just read an awesome book on Grace. I got it FREE from Booksneeze.com in return for my honest review. The book is called Dirty God: Jesus In The Trenches by Johnnie Moore.
The main thing that grabbed my attention was indeed the Title and the cover. Then I notice that it was written by someone I knew and have met in person. I went to LU for my freshman year of college and Johnnie Moore was the Campus Pastor. So not only did the Title and the cover peek my interest but also knowing the author. And the best part was that in my mind I could hear Johnnie's voice as if he were speaking the words write off the page.

The book like I said is about Grace. In the book Johnnie writes, "Grace is a gift of God through Jesus Christ." I love that. We do not deserve grace it is God's gift to us. Johnnie writes this, "God believes in us, and grace is his way of demonstrating it." I absolutely love that! God believes in us! And Grace (Jesus) is His way of demonstrating it to us. I could go on and on with quotes that I highlighted in my ebook (I'll leave a couple at the bottom.

This book has biblical accounts and biblical truths in it but also has Johnnies personal experiences woven into it as well. This book not only help me see that grace is a gift God gave to me but made it clear that it is my duty (and yours) to not hold that gift within us but disperse that grace to this desperate and hurting world that so needs it. One of the most moving and motivating pieces of this book (at least for me) was the 18th chapter and the afterword....not because it was the end....but because of the challenge and message that Johnnie leaves with his readers. It is as though Johnnie wrote a personal message to each of his readers in his afterword saying "Make a decision with what you will do with this book. Will you just shelf it? Or will you use it to change the world? Will you, _______________, change your lifestyle, change your mentality, change your outlook, and change this world that you live in today? Will you let the grace God gifted you overflow in you and in your life so that God will be glorified? Will you be the hands and feet of Jesus.... will you get dirty in the trenches of this world so that more people will be reach with Gods love, Gods grace, and Jesus Christ? Will you answer the call and spread a little grace to a world that is grace hungry?...." (Johnnie said this better than me).

I think this book is a great book for everyone. And anyone. I would encourage christians and non-christians to read this book and be touched by God's Grace. And I would encourage you all to answer the call in the afterword because its not about us, its about God and His people. Let us love one another and spread grace to one another forevermore.

SOME OF MY HIGHLIGHTS:
- There is nothing you can do to make Jesus stop loving you. He chooses to reach into the mess and dirtiness of our lives to give us a past forgiven, a purpose for living, and a home in heaven.

- Grace is the word we use to describe the means by which God allows people to overcome their differences and become close again, and Jesus demonstrated this grace by touching the leper.

- ...one of the greatest and most needed experience of a human being is to be fully known, yet fully loved and accepted. ... Meanwhile, God has broken open history and is shouting at us from heaven: "Jesus has died, he has risen, and I accept you because of his sacrifice for you. You are good now. You are saved now. Stop following all these futile paths and follow me! I can be trusted. I know you and I love you!"... He knows us fully, and He loves us just the same.

- Grace is not weak--It's meek. And the most needed kind of grace is sometimes the most difficult.

- An idol is whatever you look at and say, in your heart of hearts, "If I have that, then I'll feel my life has meaning, then I'll know I have value, then I'll be significant and secure."

- This is how Christians should be different. We dress the same way and live in the same culture, but there's just something radically different- or at least there should be- about how we operate on the road of life. We have values and beliefs, a philosophy of life, and a motivation for doing good that are distinctly different from the world around us. We are in the world, but not of it.

- Grace is inherently radical because grace chooses to ignore what might be deserved and to dole out mercy instead.

- Our acts of compassion toward others are, in actuality, offerings of worship to God.

- Grace is generous, but it isn't free. It will always cost you something when you decide to give--whether or not you receive anything in return.

- Selfishness is the great vice that robs us of our ability to be gracious.

- He  would rather share his love with the willing few than fight to persuade the unwilling masses. Jesus, from the very beginning, came to planet Earth with a different set of values. Glory was to go where people least expected it and to love those who least deserved it. That was glorious to Jesus.

- Grace is the miracle that each of us can exercise at will in the world around us.

- ...real grace has nothing to do with what you get out of it. Real grace has everything to do with what you put into it. Real grace involves giving so that others can get more of God's goodness in this often difficult life.

I'll leave you with this awesome challenge and quotes from the book: 
God's solution is grace through us. The answer to all the problems of the world is the awakening of the people of God to care enough about those problems to actually do something about them. ...We must do everything in our power to make the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ as prevalent as possible on planet Earth. Each of us has a part to play, and each of those roles is of supreme importance. Each of us has the power to spread within our world an extra layer of the grace of God.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I am your latest follower from the GFC collective! I would love for you to head on over and give me a follow to :-)

    http://www.curvyguruceri.com/

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your cute blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog!
ūüíčAmber